Saturday, September 25, 2010

MUSIC #54: JAL BIN MACHHLI NRITYA BIN BIJLI 1971 (HINDI OST)


Another movie by the great Rajaram Vankudre Shantaram, this time with the music from Laxmikant-Pyarelal and lyrics by Majrooh. I have to admit that it was only a few years ago that I became familiarised with the songs from Jal Bin Machhli Nritya Bin Bijli (Water without Fish, Dance without Sprite)…..what an unfulfilled life I must have led since then, LOL. I think this is one of Laxmikant-Pyarelal’s better albums, although there is some plagiarising happening here and I am pretty surprised Ennio Morricone has not sued the duo for the blatant copying! Maybe it is the case of copying is the best form of flattery. See (actually listen) if you can spot the music. Hint: It is the title music to one of the most famous 1960’s Spaghetti Westerns of all times, starring the (then) dashing Clint Eastwood.

The title song, sung by Lata Mangeshkar is truly breathtaking. I just love the synthesised ‘bird calls’ and ‘pigeon coos’ in that melody. Then there is the duo with Mukesh, Baat Hai Ek Boond Si. The string instruments in this score are just fabulous. Yes, I know I am using quite a few superlatives here and it is only song two. Karja Laga Ke also has quite a bit of ‘animal’ sounds thrown in it for good measure and I don’t know why Siamese court music comes to mind when I hear the song. Must be the use of the xylophones (ranat) and horizontal gong-chimes (kong wong) in the score. Makes me want to break out in traditional Siamese dance with those long fake gold fingernails!!!


I am not even going to attempt to talk about Side Two. Why? Cos’ the album just keeps getting better. And whatever you do, don’t miss Taron Men Sajke Apne Suraj Se. On that note, I give this OST 5 stars!


For an excellent review of this movie, please visit BOLLYWOOD DEEWANA.

Jal Bin Machhli Nritya Bin Bijli 1971: The Original Soundtrack

Side One

1. Jal Bin Machhli - Lata Mangeshkar

2. Baat Hai Ek Boond Si Dil Ke Pyale Men - Lata Mangeshkar & Mukesh

3. Karja Laga Ke Bindiya Saja Ke - Lata Mangeshkar

4. Jo Main Chali Phir Na Miloongi - Lata Mangeshkar

Side Two

1. Taron Men Sajke Apne Suraj Se – Mukesh

2. O Mitwa Yeh Duniya To Kya Hai - Lata Mangeshkar

3. Jhoomke Gaye Dil - Lata Mangeshkar & Mukesh


Trivia: Did you know that there is a Facebook following of Jal Bin Machhli Nritya Bin Bijli? Check it out HERE.


Share/Bookmark

9 comments:

bollywooddeewana said...

fab write up, the cover art pretty much sums up this movie. The songs are definitely fab and i agree with your rating, but apart from the songs, dance + costumes this film was rather painful to sit through at some points

Veen said...

Thanks BD. I have to admit I haven't watched the movie and reading your write up, I don't think I want to destroy my illusion!

Nasir said...

As I'd mentioned in my comments in BD's post that this movie did not cause any ripple. Even the music was not of the class of Jhanak Jhanak or Do Aankhen Barah Haath. In fact, V.Shantaram's Sehra (1963?) was much better as far as the songs and music goes. Sehra's songs are still remembered. This is not the case with Jal bin Machhli....

Yes, the title song is good and the accompanying dance of Sandhya a treat! KAJRA LAGAA KE rings a bell, but indirectly in the sense that when I heard Padmini Kolhapure lip-synchs the 'Mukhda' in Vidhata (just before that famous song, SAAT SAHELIYAAN...) I used to wonder where I had heard that song. Thanks to your Album and info, now I know this is from Jal bin Machhli....

Of course all the above is just my opinion, and I'm sure some will enjoy the songs very much.

Oh one more thing. You mentioned the sounds of birds in a song. I would recommend Lata's PANKH HOTE TOH U.D AATI RE.... You'll hear those sounds. Plus the composition and lyrics are fantastic!

Veen said...

Nasir saab, as always, your insight is invaluable. I am going to check out all the references you have made. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea Taaron mein sajke was from Jal bin machhli. Lovely song, but oh, that start is so blatantly The Good, the Bad and the Ugly! (Though to be fair, they've made sufficient changes in the rest of the song).

Mister Naidu said...

Thanks, Veen.

I have to concur with your rating for "Jal Bin Machhli..." and especially your fondness for the title tune. It really is lovely and sounds great in stereo as does the rest of the soundtrack...too bad more old bollywood albums aren't available in stereo.
I also agree with dustedoff that their borrowing of the motif from "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" for Taaron Mein Sajke" isn't enough to constitute plagiarism. And I must say that it definitely adds a nice touch to the song.

Thanks for sharing this classic film soundtrack from Laxmikant- Pyarelal. :)

Veen said...

Yes Dusted, the start so is "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" and yes, a lovely song.

Mr Naidu, I agree; if only more of the older music are in stereo...bliss.

And you are welcome. My pleasure.

Veen said...

http://www.mediafire.com/?h0qpb45z21bkp

Taragan said...

thanks!!!