The movie Dosti (Friendship) was a hit when it premiered in 1964, taking out four Filmfare awards (the Bollywood equivalent of the Oscars), one of which was for best movie of the year. The Laxmikant-Pyarelal duo won the best music director(s) title, along with songwriter Majrooh Sultanpuri for his lyrics of ‘Chahoonga Main Tumhe’. Singer Mohammad Rafi was awarded best male playback singer for the same song. The song has since been one of Mohd Rafi trade-marks. For a comprehensive review of the songs from this movie that led to the Dosti/Rafi mania of 1964, check out Mr Nasir’s post HERE.
As the movie is about the friendship of two young males with physical disabilities (one handicapped and the other blind) and the hardships they had to succumb to, the music of this soundtrack reflects the mood of the movie – sombre. Having said this, the music and songs of the movie does instill a sense of hope to the listeners, for the singers/characters, that there is a happy ending at the end of their perilous journey. Except for ‘Gudiya Kab Tak Na Hasogy’, Mohammad Rafi sang all the songs in the movie. And to quote Mr Nasir, “Rafi Sahaab’s magical rendition of the songs breathed life and spirit in the movie for without it, the movie would have just been a lifeless exercise in morality.” How true.
My verdict: 5 stars.
1. The only movie in Bollywood cinema that made box office record without a heroine role.
2. The movie was Sanjay Khan’s debut film.
3. Most music directors had rejected the assignment as the subject matter (the friendship between a blind and handicapped boy) did not make for pop music. The success of the album (and movie) took Laxmikant-Pyarelal from composers of “B” grade movies to the “A” list league.
Check out the movie review at Bollywood Deewana.
Dosti 1964: The Original Soundtrack
1. Title Music
2. Chahoonga Main Tujhe – Mohammed Rafi
3. Rahi Manwa – Mohammed Rafi
4. Mera To Jo Bhi Qadam – Mohammed Rafi
1. Jaane Walon Zara – Mohammed Rafi
2. Gudiya Kab Tak Na Hasogy – Lata Mangeshkar
3. Meri Dosti Mera Pyar – Mohammed Rafi
Get the music HERE.