Friday, July 23, 2010

MUSIC #28: MR INDIA 1987 (HINDI OST)


One of the few movies and soundtracks from the late 1980’s that I actually enjoy. The movie Mr India was directed by Shekhar Kapur, who also directed Bandit Queen (1994), Elizabeth (1998) and Four Feathers (2002). It stars the 80’s and 90’s heart-throb Anil Kapoor in the title role, with Sri Devi playing his love interest. It showcased Amrish Puri in one of the best villain roles in Bollywood cinema, as the international crime lord and terrorist, Mogambo.

The movie and songs were a hit in 1987 and remains a cult classic till this day with the line “Mugambo khush hua” (Mugambo is pleased) being one of the most frequently used quote from a Hindi movie. The music by Laxmikant-Pyarelal and lyrics by Javed Akhtar was also a hit in that year. The album is still appreciated and remembered by the masses especially the song “Hava Havaii”, made famous by Sri Devi’s lip sync and kooky behaviour in that song and movie.

My favourites from the movie are “Kate Nahin” (another song that I memorised growing up) and “Hava Havaii” (see the YouTube clip below - Hilarious!).



My rating: 4 stars.


Mr India 1987: The Original Soundtrack

Side One

1. Zindagi Ki Yehi Reet Hai (Happy) – Kishore Kumar and Chorus

2. Karte Hai Hum Pyar Mr India Se – Kishore Kumar and Kavita Krishnamurthy

3. Na Mange Sona Chandi…Footbal Wapas De – Shabir Kumar, Anuradha Paudwal and Chorus

4. Zindagi Ki Yehi Reet Hai (Sad) – Kishore Kumar and Chorus

Side Two

1. Hava Havaii – Kavita Krishnamurthy and Chorus

2. Zindagi Ki Yehi Reet Hai – Kavita Krishnamurthy and Chorus

3. Karte Hai Hum Pyar Mr India Se – Kishore Kumar and Kavita Krishnamurthy

4. Kate Nahin Kat-te….I Love You…I Love You – Kishore Kumar and Alisha Chinoy


PS: The record cover and record itself (on Side One Song 3) lists a fourth version of the song “Zindagi Ki Yehi Reet Hai”, sung by Mohd. Aziz and Chorus. Unfortunately, it is not on the record. Not sure why. Weird.

Trivia:

1. The name Mugambo was the name of the horse in the movie “Karan Arjun”. Ironically, Amrish Puri also played the villan (Thakur Durjan Singh) in the movie.


2. A sequel is currently being made – Mr India 2 which will see Sri Devi returning to the big screen since she gave up acting in 1997. Anil Kapoor (Sri Devi’s B-I-L) will also reprise the role of Mr India with Salman Khan playing the character Mugambo; his first ever negative role in his acting career. The movie is scheduled for release next year.




Share/Bookmark

10 comments:

Nasir said...

You have some interesting trivia there Veen. Salman Khan as Mogambo? What's gotten into him I wonder!

Yes, this was a hit movie and Hawaa Hawaii a chartbuster! I did enjoy Mr. India which I think has several masala recipes. The cast of children reminds me of BRAHAMACHARI (1968) and the disapapearing acts take me back to Mr.X (Ashok Kumar 1955). In my opinion, it was MR INDIA that really zoomed Amrish Puri's to the peak of his career. Besides, I get nostalgic about the bungalow that's shown there, since I used to stay opposite the road (that's the 7 Bungalow area) at that time.

Veen said...

Yes Nasir Saab, I asked the same question too about Salman Khan - Why the change in roles? I have to admit that I am a bit tired of his steroid pumped characters. What is it with the Mr Universe body image????

Wow, the scenery where you lived must have been awesome. Always liked the 'bangla' with the sea front view. Is it still around???

Nasir said...

In fact, the location was very popular for shooting Hindi films in the Seventies and Eighties. Besides the bungalow shown in Mr. India, there was also a huge mansion just a stone-throw from there, with yellow colour. I'm sure you must have seen that in many movies. Unless I am mistaken, even as late as the year of Sanjay's Munnabhai it has been used (shown as place for pensioners, which Boman wants to usurp). Right across the road, there is or used to be a small bungalow which again figured in many movies. Watch it in Amar Akbar Antony or Naam, in fact in many movies.
I left that area, unfortunately, in or about 1983 and moved further ahead (Yari Road which too later became a hot spot for the film-stars). Now when I used to watch the area from the terrace of my building I used to see the palm tress swaying in the wind. All those trees are gone and a concrete jungle has come up. That time, even though I lived on the first floor, I could still the see the sea.

Yes, you are right about Salman. I think that body is an asset for him and it has become a sort of style to exhibit it by throwing off his shirt in the movies as well as as in functions. It also appears that the second way to remain in public's gaze to get involved in controversies and failed love-affairs.

Veen said...

Wow, I can sense the nostalgia in your writing. It's sad sometimes to see things that we love and adore get sidelined in the name of progress.

Now I have to buy the movies you quoted and keep an eye for the buildings. it's been so long since I saw Amar, Akhbar Anthony and Naam that it is about time I reaquinted myself. Thanks for the heads up.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Veen.

Not great songs, except may be Kishore's. I like this album for its high quality audio in great stereophonic recording.

Regds / Babu

Veen said...

Not much of an 80's fan but this is one of the few albums from the era that I like (including Tezaab, Jaanbaaz, Sagar, Ek Duuje Ke Liye to name a few). You are right about the quality - so much better!

bollywooddeewana said...

Thanks a lot for this, i love the songs and this is perhaps Laxikant Pyarelal's last commercial film score. based on your comment above, have you got ek duuje ke liye? That film has some of my all time faves if this video is to be believed Tere mere beech main gave birthd to Britney's toxic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqiF3IBoMNk

Veen said...

Hi BD, thanks for your comment and link and indeed I do have the Ek Duuje Ke Liye record. I promise I'll put it up for you in the next couple of weeks. I'll write to you and give you the link to my record list....you can then choose what you like to hear.

Veen said...

http://www.mediafire.com/?iqke588et3aot

Taragan seth said...

thanks for share...