Thursday, July 29, 2010

MUSIC #30: ANOKHI ADA 1948 (HINDI OST)


It is really hard to appreciate, let alone write about the older style music. Not that it isn’t good or anything to that effect…..it’s just different and most of the appreciation lies in the lyrics and the orchestral music. Also, I believe you have to be in the right frame of mind to appreciate the music….it is a bit like listening to soul or jazz music…the mood and ambience have to be just right.

Having said that, I really do not mind Anokhi Ada, by composer Naushad; although it does not sit as high on my list as the other Naushad’s compositions of that particular era namely Mela, Deedar, Jaadoo and Dastaan. But do check out the dance music at the end of Side Two – simply awesome and in my opinion, ahead of its time. The lyrics in this album are by Shakeel Badayuni and Anjum Pilibhiti; and the singers are Mukesh (how different is his voice here, I nearly could not recognize it!), Umadevi, Surendra and Shamshad Begum. My favorites include “Bhool Gaye Kyon”, “Nazar Mil Gayi”, “Kabhi Dil Dil Se” and “Aaj Kahan Ja Ke”. Oh and the Dance Music, of course….I love the opening score with the OUD. The piece makes for great belly dancing music....LOL!


(from the Riyad and Bayad, Arabic tale)

My rating: 3 stars plus.


Anokhi Ada 1948: The Original Soundtrack

Side One

1. Bholne Wale Yaad Na Aa – Mukesh

2. Dil Ko Laga Ke Ham Ne – Umadevi

3. Jale Na Kyon Parwana – Surendra

4. Bhool Gaye Kyon – Mukesh and Shamshad Begum

5. Nazar Mil Gayi – Shamshad Begum

6. Kyon Unhen Dil Diya – Surendra and Shamshad Begum

7. Title Music – Instrumental

Side Two

1. Kabhi Dil Dil Se – Mukesh

2. Kahin Jiya Dole – Umadevi

3. Yeh Pyar Ki Baaten – Mukesh

4. Aaj Kahan Ja Ke – Shamshad Begum

5. Bade Bhole Bhale – Surendra

6. Manzil Ki Dhun Men – Mukesh

7. Dance Music – Instrumental


Share/Bookmark

9 comments:

Nasir said...

ANOKHI ADA (1948) What an excellent choice Veen! I remember it was a musical hit what all with those songs blaring from the radio even after a decade when I must have heard some songs. I still remember Mukesh's song and would like to produce the wordings from memory. Some wordings might be wrong. So please excuse my 'Ada':
BHOOLNE WAALE YAAD NAA AA,
BHOOLNE WAALE YAAD NAA AA,
DEKH HAMEN MAJBOOR NAA KAR,
TUJH KO QASAM DUKH DUUR NAA KAR,
HAMM TOH JIYEN BAS TERE LIYE,
TUUNE HAZAARON RANJ DIYE,
THES LAGEE DIL TOOT GAYAA...
THES LAGEE DIL TOOT GAYAA,
BHOOLNE WAALE YAAD NAA AA,
BHOOLNE WAALE YAAD NAA AA..

Yes, I seem to remember that song. Another song that clings to my memory is: Kyoo.n unhe.n dil diyaa... But not others.

Veen said...

Amazing Nasir Saab, your lyrics are spot on!!!! Wah! Wah! Hope you enjoy the rest of the album.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Veen. I thought of skipping this, but taking it for Mukesh songs.

Regds / Babu

Veen said...

Hi Babu, hope you enjoy Mukesh at his 'infancy'.

Anonymous said...

It's strange, but as I've said on my blog and elsewhere, after just a few years of (intense) attention to Hindi film music (after several decades of focusing mostly on pop/rock/electronica, believe it or not...), the 1940s have become my absolute favorite decade, and Naushad composed the largest number of my favorite soundtracks. Trying to figure out how that happened, sometimes I blame my old affinity for the more ethereal and global "goth" music, which made me so inclined to like music that is gloomy and atmospheric (which might not always be a description that fits Naushad but perhaps Khemchand Prakash, etc.). In any event, the '40s are the best!

My favorite Naushad soundtrack from the '40s is Ratan, followed by Anmol Ghadi (because I adore Noor Jehan!), both from a bit before 1948. Mela (which you mention) did come out in 1948, and I like that soundtrack a lot (though I have mixed feelings about the movie). I am not familiar with the soundtrack you present here, but I will look into it. I like all of those singers quite a bit.

By the way, I would download many of your offerings, but the program that I had which allowed me to download RAR files expired, and I don't think I can use them these days. I would get much of this stuff if it were stored as regular MP3s.

Veen said...

Hi Richard, welcome.

Re affinity to 'older music' - I blame age for that, as the same applies to me. Not that I am saying you or I are old (no way, far from it) but I think like alcohol preferences, one's music, art and literature preferences change too as one matures. I am putting it down to wisdom and I am sticking to that thought!!!

Veen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Veen can u repost the link... its going to Jab Jab Phool Khile. Thanks

Veen said...

Oophs...sorry. Here you go, dear.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5grezzyn4j1/Anokhi Ada OST 1948.rar