Wednesday, July 7, 2010

MUSIC #22: BRAHMACHARI 1968 (HINDI OST)


Brahmachari the movie was a box-office hit in 1968 and was nominated for eight Filmfare awards and won five of its nominations – Best Movie, Best Actor (Shammi Kapoor), Best Male Playback Singer (Mohammad Rafi for “Dilke Jharoke Mein"), Best Lyricist (Shailendra for "Main Gaon Tum") and Best Music Director (Shankar-Jaikishan). The movie also won the 1969 Bengal Film Journalists' Association (the oldest film critic association in India, founded in 1937) awards (hindi section) for Best Supporting Actress (Mumtaz), Best Music Director (Shankar-Jaikishan) and Best Editor (M.S.Shinde).

As mentioned above, the music for this soundtrack is by the talented Shankar-Jaikishan duo and the lyrics are from three different writers – Shailendra, Hasrat Jaipuri and Rajinder Krishan. All the songs are sung by the legendary Mohammad Rafi and only one song, “Aaj Kal Tere Mere Pyar Ke”, is a duet. I have a soft spot for the music of this album, especially “Aaj Kal Tere Mere Pyar Ke” as I choreographed and danced to this song for a Vesaikhi show back in the late 1980’s (see picture below). Also, actress Mumtaz made the watch look like a very sexy accessory in the song clip. Not only that, Shammi Kapoor, along with his brother Shashi Kapoor, are some of my favourite actors from that era. For a write-up of the movie, check out Memsaab Story.


My favourites from this album include “Main Gaon Tum So Jao”, “Aaj Kal Tere Mere Pyar Ke” and “Dil Ke Jharoke Men”. My verdict: 4 stars.


Brahmachari 1968: The Original Soundtrack

Side One

1. Main Gaon Tum So Jao (Happy) – Mohd Rafi
Lyrics: Shailendra

2. Main Gaon Tum So Jao (Sad) – Mohd Rafi
Lyrics: Shailendra

3. Aaj Kal Tere Mere Pyar Ke – Mohd Rafi and Suman Kalyanpur
Lyrics: Hasrat Jaipuri

4. Tarif Kya Karoon – Mohd Rafi
Lyrics: Hasrat Jaipuri

Side Two

1. Dil Ke Jharoke Men – Mohd Rafi and Chorus
Lyrics: Hasrat Jaipuri

2. Chhakke Men Chhakka – Mohd Rafi and Chorus
Lyrics: Shailendra

3. Mohabat Ke Khuda – Mohd Rafi and Chorus
Lyrics: Rajinder Krishan


Get the music HERE.

Note:

Brahmachari, from the word Brahmacharya, which is a period of (Hindu) spiritualism that one partakes, in which sexual abstinence is undertaken. A Brahmachari is the male term of Brahmacharya and brahmacharini is the female term. Unlike the practices of nuns and priest in Catholism where celibacy is required until death (or until one renounces his or her wows to God), the period for Brahmacharya may be ceased and never to be continued, or may be continued at a later time.

Check out the YouTube song clip of “Aaj Kal Tere Mere Pyar Ke” HERE.
Share/Bookmark

13 comments:

bollywooddeewana said...

Shukriya for this, i was at a bollywood night weeks ago and my friend was laughing her ass at me for the way i was bumping Shammi style to the aaj kal tere song as featured in the medley from mujhse dosti karogi

Veen said...

LOL....wish I was there too. Not to laugh at you....well, maybe a little ;) but because it sounded like a fun night!

I just love the twist.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Veen for all the goodies uploaded by you in my absence (been away for a few days on work). By the way, which one is you in the photograph? Must have been real fun imitating Shammi.

Regds / Babu

Veen said...

Hi Babu, thank you and welcome back mate. Was wondering where you were.

Yes it was so much fun doing that number. Me? First from right.

memsaab said...

Love this film, especially the music :) (well, and Shammi natch)...

Veen said...

Me too Greta. Who doesn't love Shammi Kapoor???

Nasir said...

Brahmachari is one of my favourite movies - thanks to Shammi Kapoor, my youth icon, whom I used to imitate a lot in my youth. This began only in 1962 when as a teenager I saw his movie Professor at the Alankar Cinema in Bombay. The movie as a whole had a profound effect on me and after I coming home I wrote down the entire screenplay with dialogues et all at one stretch. Now I feel vindicated when I notice that even the younger generations have taken an immense liking to his flamboyant style. Add to him his voice, i.e. Mohammed Rafi Sahaab and we have a recipe for eternal youth!

I love that song AAJ KAL TERE MERE PYAAR KE CHARCHE featuring Shammi and Mumtaz - his ex-flame. My next choice is KOI PYAAR HAMEN BHI KARTA HAI for its sheer energy and style: MOHAB -BAT - KE KHUDAAAAAAAA HAM HAIN.... Of course, all the other songs are great too.

Veen, where was that Vaisakhi show held where you performed AAJ KAL…?

For more on “Brahamacharya” it will be interesting to listen to the mutterings of Sunil Dutt in PADOSAN. LOL….

Veen said...

Really Nasir saab, Shammi and Mumtaz were an item? Why did it fall through?

The Vesaikhi show was in my hometown in Malaysia. That's where I am from originally.

Filmi Geek said...

Funny, I just wrote about this movie myself a few days ago. Must be something in the air ...

Veen said...

Hi Filmi G, indeed there must be! Thanks for visiting.

Nasir said...

It was called a "failed romance."

Veen said...

LOL...good one Nasir saab. Must have had a blonde moment when I posed that question, duh.

Afifa Sharmeen Asha said...

Thank you very much. :)