Wednesday, June 30, 2010

MUSIC #18: CONNIE FRANCIS – CONNIE FRANCIS SINGS GREAT COUNTRY HITS 1962 (ENGLISH)


I am not much of a country and western (C&W) fan but there are a few singers (and a few songs rather), from 1960’s and 1970’s that I don’t mind including Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lyn and Dolly Parton. Imagine my surprise when I saw this album of Connie Francis as I am more familiar with her pop songs rather than C&W. BTW, this album is dedicated to Probir Mitra. Hope you enjoy it.

Just a quick short bio of Connie: Born Concetta Rosa Maria Franconero on 12 December 1938, Connie Francis is an American pop singer of the 1950’s and 60s. Raised in a strict Italian-American family in Newark, New Jersey, her father opposed her relationship with then fellow singer and teen heart-throb Bobby Darin, to the extent of running Bobby out of a concert hall at gun-point, to stay away from his daughter. Connie is best known for singing emotive ballads such as “Who’s Sorry Now” and “Where The Boys Are” and topped the Billboard Hot 100 singles on three occasions with "Everybody's Somebody's Fool," "My Heart Has a Mind of Its Own" and "Don't Break the Heart That Loves You". Her faster paced songs include "Lipstick on Your Collar" and "Stupid Cupid." She’s been married four times and has an adopted son to her third husband. She quotes not marrying Bobby Darin to be her greatest mistake in life.

Not sure if I would be giving Connie a fair go here by rating this album as I said, I am not much of a C&W person. But there are a few songs I don’t mind from this album, namely “I really don’t want to know”, “I can’t stop loving you”, “Oh, lonesome me” and “Tennessee Waltz” as I think it suits Connie’s voice and personality. The rest just doesn’t do it for me, and I think she massacred “I walk the line”….that song belong to Johnny Cash and Johnny Cash alone! If I had to rate this album, I’d give it two stars. C&W lovers may beg to differ. You be the judge!


NB: There are some minor skips in a couple of the songs. Sorry can’t be helped.

Connie Francis: Connie Francis Sings Great Country Hits 1962


Side One

1. I Walk The Line

2. I Really Don’t Want To Know

3. I’m Movin’ On

4. He Thinks I Still Care

5. I Can’t Stop Loving You

6. Oh, Lonesome Me

7. She’ll have to go

8. Heartaches by the number

Side Two

1. Your Cheatin’ Heart

2. Bye, Bye Love

3. Tennessee Waltz

4. Singing The Blues

5. Half As Much

6. Cold Cold Heart

7. Hearts Of Stone

8. I Am A Fool To Care


PS: Since writing this review, I have had a chance to listen to this album a couple of times and it has sort of grown on me. I now give it three stars.
Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Nasir said...

I would have missed the music of the western world but for my classmate, Joe Credo, who used to croon the English numbers of the early sixties.

My first brush with Connie Francis was PRETTY LITTLE BABY and maybe a few numbers more.

Veen there used to be a song called GOODBYE JOE GOODBYE JIMMY ...by I don't know who. That was an awesome number which still haunts me.

Veen said...

Nasir Saab, I am not familiar with "Goodbye Joe Goodbye Jimmy" but I know of two songs with similiar titles.

One is "Goodbye Jimmy Goodbye". Check this song out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuLkSLEdsCM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOsO02fPNU0&NR=1

The other is "Jambalaya" which has the opening verse, "Goodye Joe, me gotta go, me oh my oh". Check this out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4o86juvMEE

Hope it is what you are seeking.

Veen said...

http://www.mediafire.com/?o68ag43m5se49