Wednesday, June 16, 2010

MUSIC #13: SANGAM 1964 (HINDI OST)


This is one of my favourite movies and album from the 1960’s and in my opinion, one of Shankar-Jaikishan’s better albums from that era. The music directors missed out on the 1965 Filmfare Awards for that album to the more classical music of Dosti (a winner in its own right) by Laxmikant-Pyarelal. I will be posting this OST in the very near future. The lyrics in this album are by Hasrat Jaipuri and Shailendra.

For me, the music of Sangam epitomises that bagpipes, accordions, violins and the balalaika (or is the bouzouki?) can be very ‘sexy’ music instruments and can actually work in pop music. Apart from the guitar, the violin was another instrument that I wished I had learnt. This is what I miss about the music of the present – the lack of full orchestral music in albums.

Now to the songs, and this is going to be hard as I love the whole album! But if I had to chose, my preferences (I could not pick one, sorry) would be ‘Dost Dost Na Raha’, ‘O Mere Sanam’ (I actually memorised the whole song in my teenage years when I found out that the ‘Anil Kapoor’ look-like in my hometown that I had a crush on, liked my best friend....sob....Drove my mum mad as I would keep rewinding the video to write the lyrics down!!!) and ‘I Love You’.

I know that ‘Dost Dost Na Raha’ is a sad song but when I do hear this song, it makes me break in a Viennese Waltz....pity none in my household would take me up on the offer to dance, except young Master G. And then there is the German song ‘I Love You’ which I could find no info on. If Shankar-Jaikishan did write the score for the music, they did a bloody good job in fusing Greek/Mediterranean style traditional music, with filmi music (the violin score) and German lyrics. What a combo!

I give this album 5 stars!


Sangam 1964: The Original Soundtrack

Side One

1. Bol Radha Bol – Mukesh (and Vyjanthimala)
Lyrics: Shailendra

2. Hardil Jo Pyar Karega –Lata Mangeshkar, Mukesh and Mahendra Kapoor
Lyrics: Shailendra

3. O Mehbooba – Mukesh
Lyrics: Hasrat Jaipuri

4. Yeh Mera Prem Patra – Mohd Rafi
Lyrics: Hasrat Jaipuri

Side Two

1. Main Kya Karoon – Lata Mangeshkar
Lyrics: Hasrat Jaipuri

2. I Love You – Vivin Lobo
Lyrics: Not Credited

3. Dost Dost Na Raha – Mukesh
Lyrics: Shailendra

4. O Mere Sanam - Lata Mangeshkar and Mukesh
Lyrics: Shailendra

Get the album HERE.


PS: Don’t forget, you have another four days to vote for the next album you would like to hear.
Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Veen, sorry to point out, but I don't find the d/l link.

Warm Regds / Babu

Veen said...

Duh...What an idiot. I have added the link now. Sorry for that.

bollywooddeewana said...

Fab thanks for this Main pyar karoon Ram has always been a favourite, the others are fab too. I've just voted for Pakeezah and i really hope it'll be the next one

Veen said...

Hi BD, that's my daughter's favourite song too and she likes the video clip too. I hope for your sake that Pakeezah makes it - if not, I promise to review it next. Howz that for a compromise???

Nasir said...

My favourite song is YEH MERA PREM PATRA PA.DH KE.
You know Veen, what happens is in a normal course we have the run of mills songs and among them some get popular. Some songs just strike you as being out of the blue. That is, there's something different there, some haunting, as in Madhumati's AAJA RE PARDESI. The impact was palpably felt at least by me.
Such impact was also felt when Raj Kapoor, who had already recorded this song, played this over the loudspeaker for the unit of DIL HI TO HAI (1963) during the shoot. Again, during Music Programme that was held for charity for the Jawans of Indian Army and which was attended by the then Prime Minister of India, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru (after Chinese invasion of 1962), this impact was felt. Rafi Sahaab had finished singing a patriotic song. The crowd yelled "once more, once more". It was then that Shankar-Jaikishan signalled to the orchestra and Rafi Sahaab sang for the first time, amazing the audience with his voice and the song. That was the impact of YEH MERA PREM PATRA PA.DH KE in the Sixties!

Seri Bahasa said...

thanks for this awesome OST...i really loves those songs especially bol raadha bol and har dil jo pyar karega...