Sunday, November 10, 2013
Chori Chori (Secretly), released in 1956, was directed by Anant Thakur and stared the great combo of the era, Raj Kapoor and Nargis Dutt. The movie is said to be inspired by the Hollywood movie “It Happened One Night” and would later inspire another Bollywood movie,” Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin” which starred Aamir Khan and Pooja Bhatt.
The music was composed by Shankar-Jaikishan (SJ), who won the Filmfare Best Music Director for the soundtrack. The lyrics were a joint effort between lyricists Harat jaipuri and Shailendra, both achieving hits with their songs Aaja Sanam and Yeh Raat Bheegi Bheegi, respectively (which happens to be my favourite too). In my opinion, SJ’s decision to have Manna Dey and Lata Mangeshkar sing most of the mellow tracks in the movie was an excellent choice. Manna Dey just brought the music and the lyrics to life. The more upbeat tunes from the movie were sung by Mohammad Rafi.
I give this album 5 stars.
Chori Chori 1956: The Original Soundtrack
1. Panchhi Banoon Udti Phiroon - Lata Mangeshkar and Chorus
2. Aaja Sanam – Manna Dey and Lata Mangeshkar
3. All Line Clear – Mohd Rafi
4. Sawa Lakh Ki Lottery - Lata Mangeshkar and Mohd Rafi
5. Rasik Balma - Lata Mangeshkar
1. Yeh Raat Bheegi Bheegi – Manna Dey and Lata Mangeshkar
2. Us Par Sajan – Lata Mangeshkar
3. Jahan Main Jati Hoon – Manna Dey and Lata Mangeshkar
4. Man Bhavan Ke Ghar - Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle
5. Thillana - M L Vasanthakumari