Satyam Shivam Sundaram (God is Truth and Beautiful) the movie was directed by Raj Kapoor and starred his brother Shashi Kapoor and the alluring Zeenat Aman. The film caused major controversies in India, particularly with the Indian Film Censor Board for its risqué scenes and sheerness of the lead actress’ attire. Director Raj Kapoor is known throughout Bollywood for ‘exploiting’ the female form in his movies.
As the story depicts the relationship between inner and outer beauty, most of the music from the movie is very spiritual in nature but mixed with aspects of traditional Bollywood music that appealed to the masses then and now. It was no wonder that music directors Laxmikant-Pyarelal won the “Filmfare Best Music Director Award” for the OST. Also, legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar took the title song “Satyam Shivam Sundaram” to the top 10 of the Indian “Geetmala” charts for 1977. The lyrics for the album are by Pandit Narendra Sharma (who was also nominated as Best Lyricist for the song “Satyam Shivam Sundaram”), Anand Bakshi and Vitthal Bhai Patel.
My favourite from this soundtrack include “Satyam Shivam Sundaram”, “Chanchal Sheetal Nirmal Komal” and “Bhor Bhaye Panghat Pe”. My verdict: Four stars.
Satyam Shivam Sundaram – Love Sublime 1978: The Original Soundtrack
1. Satyam Shivam Sundaram I – Lata Mangeshkar and Chorus
2. Yashomati Maiya Se Bole Nandlala – Lata Mangeshkar and Manna Dey
3. Bhor Bhaye Panghat Pe – Lata Mangeshkar
4. Who Aurat Hai Too Mehbooba – Lata Mangeshkar and Nitin Mukesh
1. Chanchal Sheetal Nirmal Komal – Mukesh and Chorus
2. Suni Jo Unke Aane Ki Aahat – Lata Mangeshkar and Chorus
3. Yashomati Maiya Se Bole Nandlala – Lata Mangeshkar
4. Saiyan Nikas Gaye – Lata Mangeshkar and Bhupinder
5. Satyam Shivam Sundaram II – Lata Mangeshkar and Chorus