Friday, May 28, 2010

MUSIC #07: HARIYALI AUR RASTA 1962 (HINDI OST)


By now most of you would have realised that my choice of albums seem to be sentimental albums. Mind you, I like fast paced songs too but when I come home from a hard day’s work, I really like to unwind with slow paced songs. I tend to save most of the English pop, Hindi funk, cabaret or Punjabi ‘balle-balle’ music for the weekend. Also, my kids tend to complain if I play sentimental music during the weekend when they are home too. “Who died” is the usual comment I get. Cheeky brats!!! If only they knew the beautiful music and poetry that they are missing. Partly my fault – I should have spoken Punjabi to them from birth but it is so hard when one, I don’t speak Punjabi too well myself and two, when kids are brought up in a mixed culture household! My choice, so I have to live with it I guess.

Also, my favourite Hindi records appreciation blog, Music From The Third Floor, reviews lots of Hindi funk and cabaret albums. No point for duplication, I say (though I may still upload duplicate albums, with my own slant of the music). Make sure you check out this awesome site to get your fix of Bollywood music too.

Back to this album. The music is from Shankar Jaikishan and the lyrics are from Shailendra and Hasrat Jaipuri. It’s really hard for me to say which are my favourite song/s from this OST, for I think all the songs are quite melodious, especially for that vintage where most composers were trying to revolutionise the Hindi music industry with the new wave of music coming from the west. If I had to chose, my preferences would be the ‘Bol Meri Taqdeer Mein Kya Hai’ duet and ‘Allah Jane Kya Hoga Aage’. I think Mukesh and Lata just sizzle. What do you think? Oh, and I want to thrown in ‘Kho Gaya Hai Mera Pyar’ too. Only because I so love Mahendra Kapoor’s voice!!!

Hariyali Aur Rasta 1962: The Original Soundtrack (EMI: ECLP 5436)

Side 1

1. Bol Meri Taqdeer Mein Kya Hai (Duet) – Mukesh and Lata Mangeshkar

Lyrics: Shailendra

2. Allah Jane Kya Hoga Aage – Mukesh and Lata Mangeshkar

Lyrics: Hasrat Jaipuri

3. Kho Gaya Hai Mera Pyar – Mahendra Kapoor

Lyrics: Hasrat Jaipuri

4. Yeh Hariyali Aur Yeh Rasta – Lata Mangeshkar

Lyrics: Hasrat Jaipuri

Side 2

1. Teri Yaad Dil Se Bhulane Chala Hun – Mukesh

Lyrics: Shailendra

2. Lakhon Tare Aasman Men – Mukesh and Lata Mangeshkar

Lyrics: Shailendra

3. Ek Tha Raja Ek Thi Rani – Lata Mangeshkar

Lyrics: Shailendra

4. Bol Meri Taqdeer Mein Kya Hai – Lata Mangeshkar

Lyrics: Shailendra


Veen’s rating: 4 stars


Get the music HERE.
Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

memsaab said...

Another great one, thanks Veen :) I haven't seen this film in a while but I remember liking it, especially for the songs.

Veen said...

My pleasure Greta. I remember watching this as a child and I think a revisit is on the cards!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Veen. Like Memsaab, me too would like to watch this just for the lovely songs.

Warm Regds / Babu

Veen said...

No probs Babu. I have to admit....I too would like to watch the movie again. In fact, I just bought a copy on eBay and can't wait for it to arrive!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Thanks for this album. Interesting thing (or perhaps even confusing)...the LP Back-cover that you posted only has 8 tracks. However, your file has 9 songs, with the extra song being "Parwano Ki Raah Mein", not listed in the LP cover. Also, this 9th unlisted song is tagged incorrectly, it is sung by Asha Bhosle and not Lata Mangeshkar. :-)

Veen said...

Oh well, consider it a freebie. Must have zipped an extra song.