Friday, November 26, 2010

MUTTERINGS #49: ROSES

By Veen
Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ11
"MY ROSES"
Juliet:
O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I'll no longer be a Capulet.

Romeo:
[Aside] Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?

Juliet:
'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

Romeo
I take thee at thy word:
Call me but love, and I'll be new baptized;
Henceforth I never will be Romeo.

From: Romeo and Juliet
By William Shakespeare


Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

Nasir said...

Beautiful lines from Shakespeare's tragedy about the star-crossed lovers. Truly stated: A Rose is a Rose is a Rose!

I love Shakespearean philosophies!

By the way, Veen, those are lovely pictures of Rose.

lugworm said...

G'day Veen, Lovely roses. Roses are like women, beautiful, can have a wonderful perfume but are very prickly and can tear a man to pieces if he gets too close.

Veen said...

Thank you Nasir saab. I always think that Shakespeare must have been Indian in his past life cos his stories are so filmi, LOL.

To think that after 400 years, his stories are still greatly appreciated and still significant, to this day and age.

Veen said...

Ah Bob...but if the man treats the woman with care, love and respect that she so rightly deserves, she will shed her prickly thorns and share that beauty and perfume with that patient and special man....until she withers and dies like the rose...but her scent will will linger forever....

To pick a rose...one must endure a few thorns along the way....

lugworm said...

Oh! My roses have all had green-fly!

Have you seen/heard the theory that Shakespeare was not the author of the plays etc that he was been credited with. I saw a doco on SBS some time back on the theory. Me? I'll stick with Will.

Veen said...

LOL....excuses, excuses Bob.

What did Ralph Waldo Emerson say? "We are a puny and fickle folk. Avarice, hesitation, and following are our diseases".

Yes I did watch the doco. I'm with you...my money is on William too.