Tuesday, November 9, 2010

MUSIC #70: RAJA RANI 1973 (HINDI OST)


Another gem from the 1970’s and music director Rahul Dev Burman. It’s been an album that been eluding me and viola, one day I get an email from a friend in the UK …. “Veen, do I have an LP for you!” Well, did he ever. Thank you Shafiq….I have been wearing out the needle of my player listening to this (and another MP3 album actually, Abhinetri, from my friend Babu....thank you Babu!).

Raja Rani (King and Queen) the movie is directed by Sachin Bhowmick and stars Hindi screen legend Rajesh Khanna and Sharmila Tagore. For an insight to the movie, check out my friend Greta’s review at MEMSAAB STORY.

In my opinion, this is one of RD great albums, although it is not as well known as his others such as Caravan, Yaadon Ki Baraat and Sholay. However, this album would differ from RD’s other albums as most of the songs here are in the mujhra or court dancing music style and classic Hindi movie genre…except for “Jab Andhere Hota Hai” which is in the typical RD cabaret style music and the start of “Na Tum Se Hui Na Hum Se Hui” … great insert of psychedelic music here.

For me all the songs are great in their own rights but if I had to pick favourites, I am going for “Jab Andhere Hota Hai” and “Lal Chunariya Odhke”. Asha Bhosle was nominated Best Female Playback Singer for "Jab Andhera Hota Hai", the only Filmfare nomination for Raja Rani. It does not surprise me, as both the song and Asha sizzle! BTW, Anand Bakshi is the lyricist for this album.

My verdict: 5 stars


Raja Rani 1973: The Original Soundtrack

Side One

1. Lal Chunariya Odhke – Lata Mangeshkar

2. Ja Re Ja MainNe Tujhe Jaan Liya – Lata Mangeshkar

3. Jab Andhere Hota Hai – Asha Bhosle, Bhupendra and Chorus

Side Two

1. Main Ik Chor Too Meri Rani – Lata Mangeshkar and Kishore Kumar

2. Han To main Kya Kah Raha Tha – Lata Mangeshkar, Mukesh and Rajesh Khanna

3. Phir Aankh Se Aansoo Barse – Lata Mangeshkar

4. Na Tum Se Hui Na Hum Se Hui – Lata Mangeshkar



Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

G. Harrison said...

you put tons of work into your web site. i'll also pass along to my brother, a movie buff.

have you seen Cinema Paradiso, a movie in which 'going to the movies' plays a big part? it's one of my top ten movies.

GH
back at It Strikes Me Funny
Canada

Veen said...

Hi Gord, Thanks for visiting my blog and your recommendations (re brother and Cinema Paradiso - It's on my ‘to buy and see list’).

I alternatively post Bollywood (the term for Hindi cinema industry that is based in India) and English vinyls on my blog. I hope you find music of interest here.

Downloads are available - just click on the full title of the album before the song list or on my rating picture - camouflaged to keep the internet file trolls at bay!

Anonymous said...

Veen

Thanks for this gem.

Smita

Veen said...

My pleasure, Smita.

J Thyme...kind said...

Hi Veen. My name is Justin and I'm from New York City where we have a very nice respect for the flavors of other lands such as India. I had the good fortune of once stumbling into a record store in little India in Manhattan and asked the record store owner to pick for a me a few great LP's of Bollywood scores. He offered this list.
R.D. Burman - Caravan OST [1971 EMI]
R.D. Burman - Kasme Vaade OST [1978]
R.D. Burman - Yaadon Ki Baaraat OST [1973 EMI Odeon]
Rajkamal - Sawan Ko Aane Do OST [1979 EMI]
Kalyanji Anandji - Qurbani OST [1978 Polydor]
Laxmikant-Pyarelal - Sargam OST [1979 EMI]
Laxmikant-Pyarelal - Loafer OST [1972 EMI]
Laxmikant-Pyarelal - Ek Duuje Ke Liye OST [1981 EMI]
I would say I was very lucky my first time in that store. Must have been good karma from another life. Ha, ha.