Sunday, June 20, 2010

MUSIC #15: JEWEL THIEF 1967 (HINDI OST)


After months of trying to find the LP and DVD of this movie, I finally found them both in a spate of a couple of weeks. I don’t think I ever watched this movie (it was released the year I was born…..oops, the cat is out of the bag now) but I definitely have heard the songs!

My parents used to own the EP of the movie but a recent phone call to mum established that the EP has long disappeared! Not impressed. Anyway, there may have been a silver lining to this saga as I found a near mint LP of Jewel Thief on eBay for a very reasonable price! You can get lucky…..sometimes.

The music in this recording is by Sachin Dev Burman and the main lyrics by Majrooh Sultanpuri (with Shailendra providing the lyrics for one song – see below). Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar, Mohammad Rafi and Asha Bhosle provided the vocals in this amazing soundtrack.

Sachin Dev Burman is at his peak in this production with my favourites being Yeh Dil Na Hota Bechara (I sooo love the plastic fish at the end of the fishing line in the movie song clip and the convertible….I want that one!), Dil Pukare, (H)Othon Pe Aisi Baat and the seductive and risqué number, Raat Akeli Hai (how cute is Tanuja in this number!).

My rating: Pure 5 Star Magic!


Jewel Thief 1967: The Original Soundtrack

Side One

1. Yeh Dil Na Hota Bechara - Kishore Kumar

Lyrics: Majrooh Sultanpuri

2. Roola Ke Gaya Sapna Mera - Lata Mangeshkar

Lyrics: Shailendra

3. Aasman Ke Peeche - Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar

Lyrics: Majrooh Sultanpuri

4. Baithen Hain Kya Uske Pas - Asha Bhosle

Lyrics: Majrooh Sultanpuri

5. Dance Music

Side Two

1. Raat Akeli Hai - Asha Bhosle

Lyrics: Majrooh Sultanpuri

2. (H)Othon Mein Aisi Baat - Lata Mangeshkar, Bhupendra and Chorus

Lyrics: Majrooh Sultanpuri

3. Dil Pukare - Lata Mangeshkar and Mohd Rafi

Lyrics: Majrooh Sultanpuri


Get the music HERE.

Watch out for my next two postings: Pakeezah (1972) and Khilona (1970).
Share/Bookmark

9 comments:

Mister Naidu said...

Thanks Veen for this and all your releases. You're doing a great job sharing these rare vinyl records. :)

RD Burman was the assistant for the Jewel Thief soundtrack and that's why he appears on the back cover with his father. His contribution is probably most evident on one of Helen's greatest cabaret numbers: "Baithen Hain Kya Uske Pa." Love the song and video. I wonder if anyone knows who danced alongside her in that song.

My second favorite song is Raat Akeli Hai, but all the songs are very good. I think I'll replaying the Jewel Thief vinyl rip for a while. :D

Veen said...

Thanks Mr N for the info on RD. I was wondering why he was photographed with his father.

The lady that danced alongside Helen in "Baithen Hain Kya Uske Pa" did a good job in the dance. I am curious to know who she is too.

Glad you are enjoying my choice of music. Most of my LP collection has been influenced by my parents and what they used to listen to whilst I was growing up. Thank you for your support and looking forward to your future comments.

Veen

Anonymous said...

Thanks Veen. Agree with your rating for the music. Music comes out crisper and sharper in this rip.

Warm Regds / Babu

Veen said...

Thanks Babu. I have to thank fellow blogger and reader Viz for his help in teaching me to rip in better bits.

Music should also be better soon as I bought a new and better record player. Fingers crossed.

Hong said...

Thanks for the music. Although I do not understand Hindi, it reminded me of childhood times. Watching Hindi films on Saturday afternoons with singing/dancing men and women was a favourite. I wasn't much older in 1967 and surely missed this one, so thanks again. Hong

Veen said...

Thanks Hong. This is one of the better movies of the 1960's. Do try to watch it if you can. My copy from Shemaroo India has great English subtitles.

MFT3F said...

Jewel Thief was one of the first Bollywood scores I acquired... haven't listened to it in years, but I remember it as being ace.

Veen said...

Hi PC, glad you like the album.

Shekhar said...

Stumbled on your blog while Googling stuff about Jewel Thief's music. Love your blog and this post in particular. :)