Wednesday, May 5, 2010

MUSIC #03: ANDAZ 1971 (HINDI OST)


A favourite movie and album when I was really young, with “Re Mama Re Mama Re” from Mohd Rafi being the favourite song then, because of the catchy tune and funny lyrics. One normally does not associate Rafi with humour, the forte is usually afforded to Kishore Kumar and his trademark yodels. But Rafi does a good job here and if you were looking forward to some yodelling from the Hindi king yodeller, you will not be disappointed with “Zindagi Ek Safar Hai” by Kishore Kumar. BTW, I have also included the Mohd Rafi version of “Zindagi Ek Safar Hai” , which I copied from the movie, as it was not on the LP. I wonder why??? Let me know which version is your preference. In case you are wondering why the voices change halfway throughout this song, it is because the first part is sung by Mohd Rafi (who lends his voice to Shammi Kapoor in the movie) and the second part is sung by Kishore Kumar (for Rajesh Khanna’s role in the film). Oh, and let us not forget that there’s the third version too by Asha. Maybe this is why the second version was not included in the OST – for fear of “Zindagi Ek Safar Hai” overload!!!!

I have to admit though that my favourite songs from this album now are “Mujhe Pyas Aesi Pyas Lagi Hai” and “Dil Use Do”. As usual, both Asha and Rafi are at their best. So sit back and enjoy this pleasant album from composer Shankar Jaikishan and songwriter Hasrat Jaipuri.

Veen’s rating: 4 stars


ANDAZ 1971: The Original Soundtrack

Side One

1. Zindagi Ek Safar Hai – Kishore Kumar

2. Hainha, Bolo Bolo – Mohd Rafi, Suman Kalyanpur, Sushma and Pratibha

3. Mujhe Pyas Aesi Pyas Lagi Hai – Asha Bhosle

Side Two

4. Dil Use Do – Mohd Rafi, Asha Bhosle and Chorus

5. Re Mama Re Mama Re – Mohd Rafi (and Chorus)

6. Zindagi Ek Safar Hai – Asha Bhosle

Bonus Track From Movie

7. Zindagi Ek Safar Hai – Mohd Rafi and Kishore Kumar

You can download the songs from HERE.
Share/Bookmark

11 comments:

Cas said...

Cool songs for a cool movie....the Mohd. Rafi version is my personal favourite, very sad....and cool blog....


lol sequak (stupid verification code....)

Veen said...

Thanks Cas. I prefer the Mohd Rafi version too. Pity that it is only part of the song.

Mister Naidu said...

Thanks for the Shankar Jaikishan album :)
I love all 3 versions of "Zindagi Ek Safar Hai" (thanks for including the bonus!), but I think I prefer Kishore's version best. Asha's is very good too. I think that's the first time I've ever heard her yodel...wonder if Kishore gave her lessons :)

"Dil Use Do" is a favorite of mine too..like the lifting of the main melody from the Beatles' "With a Little help from My Friends." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjmu9OnL1Ho&feature=player_embedded

I also like "Mujhe Pyas Aesi Pyas Lagi Hai." It really grows on you after repeated listening. Great vocal by Asha!

Thanks for sharing..appreciate your effort and keep up the great work!

Mister Naidu said...

Here is the link for Dil Use Do's inspiration of the Beatles "With a Little Help from my Friends."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGznJIWU6EA&feature=related

Asli Jati said...

Many thanks for posting this. Even though Mohd. Rafi is one of my favourite singers, the song
'Zindagi Ek Safar Hai' will always be associated with Kishore Kumar as one his all-time signature songs ...

Also, the picturization of the song on Rajesh Khanna at his peak is an all-time classic.

btw, some trivia for you in case you didn't know : The child singer
Sushma, who sang on 'Hainha, Bolo Bolo', would later sing in many other Hindi Films as an adult using the name Poornima.

Check out :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushma_Shrestha

phil said...

Thank you very much , enjoying Andaz

http://soulsitar.blogspot.com/

Veen said...

Hi Mr Naidu

Thank you for your encouragement and kind words.....and for the links. Really enjoyed the clips.

Hi Gagan,

My pleasure.And thanks for the trivia. I have seen the name Purnima before and now I know the association with Sushma. Ta again.

My pleasure Phil!

Hugs, Veen.

Anonymous said...

Lovely film, although I love it more for Shammi of course than Rajesh Khanna ;) Thanks for the music!

Veen said...

My pleasure Anon. Yes, Loved Shammi in the movie.

vinylfanatic said...

thanks for the album. BTW , the film has a slow (sad) version too of ZINDAGI EK SAFAR sung by Kishore.

Veen said...

Hi Subho, thanks for visiting and your comment. I have to get the movie and rip the version you identified. Thanks for that.