Thursday, July 15, 2010

MUSIC #25: CHALTE CHALTE 1976 (HINDI OST)


I know I watched this movie with my parents and young aunties (both my paternal and maternal aunts were staying with us for a few months then) at the Main Road cinema in Kuantan (Malaysia) and that both my aunts were pretty taken with the songs of the movie. Mind you, at this time, records were no longer the craze but rather those bulky 8 track tape cartridges (see picture below) and I can remember that both my aunts gave the tape deck quite a thumping. Who could blame them? Although I can’t for the life of me remember the movie (as I have not seen it again since that trip to the cinema), I will however, always remember the songs. It is just phenomenal.


The music of Chalte Chalte (While Walking/While On The Journey) is by Bappi Lahiri and the lyrics are by Amit Khanna. This is one of Lahiri’s few ‘typical’ or ‘traditional’ Bollywood albums before venturing into his trademark ‘Bollywood Disco’ music. In addition, he also sang in this album, along with the legendary actor/singer Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar, Shailendra Singh (I love his voice!) and actress/singer Sulakshana Pandit. Still glowing from the success of the movie Zakhmee (1975), the songs of Chalte Chalte became the rage of 1976 and further cemented Bappi Lahiri as an aspiring Hindi composer and later as a legend in his own right.

My verdict: Five stars…..and my favourites - I love them all! Okay maybe ‘Pyar Mein Kabhi Kabhi’ more than the others.


Chalte Chalte 1976: The Original Soundtrack

Side One

1. Chalte Chalte (Part I) – Kishore Kumar

2. Dur Dur – Lata Mangeshkar

3. Jana Kahan Hai – Sulakshana Pandit and Bappi Lahiri

Side Two

1. Sapnon Ka Raja – Sulakshana Pandit and Shailendra Singh

2. Pyar Mein Kabhi Kabhi – Shailendra Singh and Lata Mangeshkar

3. Chalte Chalte (Part II) – Kishore Kumar


Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

Nasir said...

There were some good songs. The title song was a hit song at the time. Also, JAANA KAHAAN HAI and PYAAR ME.N KABHI KABHI...
Vishal Anand it seems is a nephew of Dev Anand and no wonder he sometimes does ape him.

Asli Jat said...

Thanks Veen.

Kishore's rendition's of the title track (both versions) are absolute classics.

In the sad version you can really feel the pathos in his voice ...

The other songs are also very catchy & like you I've been listening to them for years via car cassettes etc.

Veen said...

Nasir saab, yes the title song was the rage of 1976 and the rest of the album was also much appreciated by the masses then.

AJ, you are correct, KK really brought the song Chalte Chalte alive; and Bappi was too right in his decision to get KK sing that song. Gosh I remember those bulky 8 tracks. My parents had quite a few of them. I have to admit that it was one fad I was glad to see go! Mind you, I wish I had kept some of the decks as bakelite material (remember the old black phones) is highly priced and collectable these days.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Veen.

The cover looks different from the one I used to have - with a double jacket. This may be a later press or made for overseas market.

I can understand people wanting to try other songs. Even I would like to listen to the other songs than the classic title song rendered by Kishore - aptly described by AJ. It must have been "over exposed" in the last 35 years and hence the preference for the other rarely heard ones.

I think Chalte Chalte was based on a Hollywood movie - Play Misty for Me or some such. It was a total washout at the box office. Bappi's music being the only remeeding factor.

Warm Regds / Babu

Veen said...

Hi Babu, my cover may seem different because it is a Malaysian pressing - with no gatefold. When I researched the net for info on Chalte Chalte, I noted that it was referred to as a box office flop but a musical success. Maybe that's why I can't remember the movie from my childhood!

Veen said...

http://www.mediafire.com/?zhvfphxglcdkp

Afifa Sharmeen Asha said...

Many Many Many Thanks for Jana kahan hai song. superb release!!! GOD bless you. :)